ITHACA, N.Y. -- The man badly burned in an Ithaca tent fire died from his injuries.
Police said 53-year-old Richard Sherman died at the hospital Thursday afternoon.
The fire started in the area known as "The Jungle" Wednesday afternoon.
Police said Sherman's clothes caught fire, but an employee of Cayuga Lumber noticed the fire and helped put out the flames with snow. Sherman was taken to a regional burn unit, where he succumbed to his injuries.
Investigators are still looking into what sparked the fire, but no foul play is suspected.
Meanwhile, Ithaca's mayor is speaking out about helping the residents of "The Jungle"
Svante Myrick said this incident should serve as a call to the community.
"It's time that we work with human service agencies, the community of faith, and private individuals to clear the Jungle and keep it clear,” Myrick said in a written statement. “We cannot service those who live there with addiction services, mental health services, or police and fire protection. I will do everything in my power to steer any current inhabitants to healthier, existing alternatives."