POMPEY, N.Y. -- A dozen fire departments from three counties battled flames at the Pompey Club. Fire tore through the golf course's maintenance building.
Firefighters couldn't go inside to knock it down because of propane tanks and other chemicals in the building. Water also had to be trucked in because there were no fire hydrants in the area.
With the thermometer soaring into the 80's, first responders had to be careful in the conditions.
"They're still required to wear their personal protective equipment, a lot of extra clothing. In this hot humid muggy weather, it really starts to exhaust the firefighters. So, we really want to keep an eye on them. So, that's why we're bringing in the special rehab unit,” said Kevin Wisely, Onondaga County Emergency Management.
Firefighters were able to take off their gear and get water at the rehab unit. Investigators are still looking into what sparked the flames.