The cold weather means a lot of people are turning up the heat. Experts say at the same time, you should turn up your awareness to a deadly gas in your home. Our Elyse Mickalonis talked to professionals to learn more about how to keep your family and four-legged friends safe.
NEW YORK STATE -- With chilly nights upon us, many people across the state are trying to stay toasty in their homes. It can also mean an increase in danger.
“Carbon monoxide is an odorless killer. And you don’t know that it’s emitted into your air space. Many times you live with it, you might be a little dizzy, a little light-headed, a little nauseous. Those are all forms of early carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Bob Auchinachie, Auchinachie Services President and Owner.
Auchinachie says many home appliances that run on kerosene, gas, wood or oil can churn out carbon monoxide. It’s key for people to have professionals check furnaces and heaters once a year.
“Most professionals will run a carbon monoxide test to make sure there’s none spilling into your living space and make sure there’s no combustibles around the furnace,” said Auchinachie.
And if your furnace is 10 to 20 years old, it may simply be time for an upgrade.
“A new furnace has a good, strong heat exchanger, which takes all those flue gases out of your home,” said Auchinachie.
Experts say while you’re worried about your family’s safety, don’t forget about your pets, because they’re going to be home with the equipment all day and their safety is just as important.
"Unfortunately, clinical symptoms that you may see with your pets can be very severe. They can go from being normal to very sick in a short period of time. Your pet may pass away before you're able to get them to the hospital,” said Kara Blaha, Vestal Veterinary Hospital Associate Veterinarian.
Blaha and Auchinachie carbon monoxide prevention is a must to protect you, your family and your four-legged friends.
Heating professionals say it’s important to install carbon dioxide detectors. They recommend ones that plug in and don’t require batteries, so you don't have to worry about dead batteries.