WEST WINDSOR, N.Y. -- A family in West Windsor lost their home in a fire. Eight departments responded to the scene at 55 Riley Road just before 10 a.m. Thursday.
It took crews over an hour to get the fire under control. Everyone who was home at the time got out safely, but the family of five did lose two dogs in the fire.
Investigators say it was sparked by a wood stove. It then quickly spread through the rest of the home. Officials say that the cold weather made the flames even more difficult to fight.
"The biggest thing with the cold is the trucks with the water going through, if it’s not going through enough it freezes, the trucks do freeze up. We had that problem today with one of the trucks started to freeze up, we had problems with that," said Cliff Smalley, West Windsor Asst. Fire Chief.
Officials say the home is a total loss. The Red Cross was on scene to assist the victims.