Saturday, December 27, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 



Police: Woman died from self-inflicted gunshot wound

  • Text size: + -
CNY/NNY/S. Tier: Police: Woman died from self-inflicted gunshot wound
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

More questions are being answered regarding a shooting that occurred in Old Forge in August where a teacher from Proctor High School was killed. But the investigation could come to a standstill as one eye witness is choosing to not cooperate. Our Cara Thomas has more.

HERKIMER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Catherine Koestner was a 30-year-old math teacher at Proctor High School in Utica, but on August 25th, her life tragically ended. While at the Forge Motel in Old Forge, Koestner was shot.

Herkimer County Assistant District Attorney Jeff Carpenter said, "At this time, the forensic investigation, together with the findings of the medical examiner and the witness interviews that have been conducted to date, indicate that Ms. Koestner died from a single self inflicting gunshot wound to the head."

But the investigation isn't over yet. State Police and the Herkimer County District Attorney's office say now they're trying to figure out if the shooting was a suicide or accidental.

Captain Mark Lincoln from the New York State Police said, "We have made the determination that it's not a homicide and it did occur because of her actions, but there's a few things that don't all match up."

And police say those final questions could get answered as there was one person at the motel with her, Joseph Moore. A friend who police say saw exactly what happened and whose gun was the weapon fired. He gave a statement the day of the shooting, but after that, Moore hasn't said a word.

"We continued to characterize Mr. Moore as a witness in this investigation. Mr. Moore has since retained council and as a result of conversations that I have had with his attorney, it is my belief that Mr. Moore will no longer cooperate in this investigation," said Carpenter.

"We would like to get all the answers for the family and for the friends of Ms. Koestner. But without the cooperation of Mr. Moore, there's a few pieces of this investigation that we're not completely comfortable with," said Lincoln.

Without Moore's cooperation, officials say they will continue to try and put pieces together of what exactly happened those early morning hours through forensic evidence and witness interviews to determine how and why she died.

Related Stories ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP