Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

CNY

Odessa explosion leaves woman homeless

  • Text size: + -
CNY/NNY/S. Tier: Odessa explosion leaves woman homeless
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

SCHUYLER COUNTY, N.Y. -- An Odessa woman is without a home after a boiler exploded in her house over the weekend.

It happened at 405 College Avenue in Odessa at around 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Investigators said the boiler in the basement exploded when Elenor Tompson was asleep in her bed upstairs.

The explosion was caused by a faulty boiler valve. It blew out the windows in the home, but did not cause a fire. The house has severe structural damage and moved three inches off its foundation. Code enforcement has declared the home unlivable.

Neighbors say they were shocked by what they heard and saw.

Richard Thompson said, "We could feel the explosion in our house. That's why I thought maybe it was something falling down upstairs but it would have been really extreme. But anyway it was the neighbor's."

Investigators say the woman was not hurt. She is now staying with family.

10.11.12.247 ClientIP: 54.198.140.130, 23.62.6.199 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP