Friday, December 26, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 



Man in custody in connection with Utica homicide

  • Text size: + -
CNY/NNY/S. Tier: Man in custody in connection with Utica homicide
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

For the second time in a little over a week, Utica Police are back on the streets trying to solve a homicide. Our Sarah Blazonis has been following the story and has more.

UTICA, N.Y. -- A 24-year-old man is dead following a shooting early Wednesday morning and a man found near the scene with a gun is under arrest. But police say whether or not he was the one to pull the trigger remains to be seen.

Utica Police say officers were nearby when gunfire rang out near the intersection of James and West streets around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"We had officers that heard the actual shots being fired and they came upon him leaving the scene," said Utica Police Sergeant Steven Hauck.

The man they found was Marshall Jackson, 30, leaving the area and carrying a gun. Officers also found Anthony Garner, 24, shot at the scene. He was taken to St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

"My two sons live on this block, my nephews, my cousins. It's just kind of unbelievable that someone could just die right on the corner where your loved ones live," Utica resident Michael Woods said.

The city's second homicide of the year fell little more than one week after the first. Reginald Davis, 22, died after being shot in the head near Genesee Street and Watson Place May 17.

Details weren't immediately available about the circumstances that led up to this shooting, but police say, unfortunately, that area of James Street is no stranger to this type of activity.

"James Street. has had its fair share of violence over the years. However, there are plenty of good people who live over there that aren't involved in any type of criminal activity. We're doing our best to try to rid the neighborhood of that," Hauck said.

"Everybody's playing, everybody's laughing, everyone's talking to each other. A real community effort over here," Woods said.

Right now, Jackson is being charged with criminal possession of a weapon, not murder. He appeared in Utica City Court Wednesday morning and was sent to Oneida County jail on $100,000 bail and is expected to appear in court for a felony hearing Friday.

Police are continuing their investigation to determine whether or not he was actually the one who shot Garner. They ask anyone with information to call police at (315) 223-3510. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP